It also sets out how you can seek access to, and correction of, your personal information and complain about a possible breach of the Australian Privacy Principles.
The kinds of personal information we collect from you, and how we use and disclose this information, will differ depending on the type of insurance* you have with us, and whether we are your insurer or reinsurer.
What personal information do we collect and how do we collect it?
We collect and hold personal information sufficient to allow us to provide insurance quotes, assess and process insurance applications, administer insurance policies, and assess and pay claims under insurance policies. This information may include:
- your name, date of birth, gender, occupation, and contact details;
- your bank account or credit card details;
- proof of identity documents such as birth or marriage certificates;
- your claims history;
- your medical history;
- lifestyle information that relates to the insurance product;
- financial and business information such as individual and business tax returns; and
- other history relevant to the insurance policy such as occupational history.
We collect personal information directly from you or your agents when you request a quote and apply for insurance with us, make a claim under your policy or otherwise interact with us.
We also collect your personal information from:
- our reinsured clients and other insurers;
- people who are involved in a claim or assist us in investigating or processing claims, including witnesses and external claims data collectors and verifiers;
- brokers and other intermediaries;
- our business partners who we work with to provide insurance products to you; and
- your medical advisors and employer.
For what purposes do we collect, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect, use and disclose your personal information (including health information) to provide you with insurance quotes, process insurance applications, administer your policy and assess and pay claims under the policy.
We may also use and disclose your personal information to promote our products and services, design or underwrite new insurance products, for research and analytical purposes, to perform administrative functions and to comply with our legal obligations.
We will not disclose your sensitive information for any purpose other than the purpose for which it was collected or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you otherwise consent.
Who will we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our related companies who assist us in providing our products and services;
- agents and third party service providers who assist us in processing any application or claim for insurance, including lawyers and other advisors, medical service providers, external claims data collectors, investigators and verifiers, and your employer;
- our reinsured clients, other insurers and reinsurers, retrocessionaires, and brokers and other intermediaries;
- third party service providers who perform functions or services on our behalf, such as IT services and mailing functions;
- our business partners who may use that information to assist them, their related companies and their business partners in planning, researching, developing, identifying and notifying you of products and services which may be of interest to you. This information may include details about your policy with us but will not include any sensitive information (such as health information); and
- where required by law.
Do we disclose your personal information overseas?
We may disclose your personal information (including health information) to our related companies overseas who assist us in providing our products and services, including by providing support in relation to the assessment of insurance applications, premiums and claims, and treaties with our insurance clients. These related companies may be located in Hong Kong, China, India, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Switzerland. In order for these related companies to assist us in providing our products and services, they may access your personal information through our international group wide IT systems.
How do we hold your personal information and keep it secure?
We hold your personal information in a combination of computer storage facilities and paper-based files.
All reasonable steps are taken to ensure that the information is accurate, complete, up-to-date and relevant and only the information that is required for our functions and activities is collected. All personal information is held securely in the offices of Swiss Re. Access to such information by Swiss Re employees are subject to strict guidelines.
How can you seek access to, and correction of, your personal information?
You may seek access to, and correction of, your personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Compliance Officer on (02) 8295 9500 or via a letter addressed to:
Privacy Compliance Officer
Swiss Re Life & Health Australia Ltd,
Level 36, Tower Two, International Towers Sydney
200 Barangaroo Avenue
Sydney, NSW 2000GPO Box 7040 Sydney NSW 2001
We will respond to your request within a reasonable time after we receive it.
How can you complain about a breach of your privacy?
If you believe we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles in our handling of your personal information and wish to complain, please contact our Privacy Compliance Officer using the contact details in the section above. We may ask you to put your complaint in writing if it cannot be resolved over the phone.
We will investigate your complaint, and notify you of our decision in relation to your complaint, as soon as practicable after we receive it. If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Further details can be found on their website www.oaic.gov.au.