Solutions: food security
In cooperation with key stakeholders, we create solutions that help improve food security by giving farmers protection against natural perils.
Meeting the demand for food for the growing world population – estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050 – will be challenging, as supply is constrained by such factors as climate change, depleted agricultural soils and the distribution of land, water and energy. Today, about 800 million people – one in 11 – are chronically hungry and malnourished. Swiss Re is a leader in agricultural insurance markets. We use our experience, expertise and financial strength to provide cutting-edge solutions to all stakeholders of the agricultural value chain. By insuring the agricultural sector, we play a vital role in combatting hunger and poverty.
Recently completed solutions improving food security
In recent years, we have helped develop many solutions that offer our clients protection against risks that may affect food production. Click on the links below to find out more:
- Insurance payout helps herders save drought-stricken livestock in Kenya
- Successful Kenya Livestock Insurance Program scheme scales up
- Swiss Re introduces first parametric aquaculture insurance solution in Taiwan to protect 120,000 hectares of grouper fish ponds from extreme rainfall in Ping Tung
- First MiCRO natcat business interruption cover launched in Guatemala
- Thai Rice Insurance Scheme scales up to cover 2 million rice farmers
- Swiss Re China protects cotton farmers' yields in cold weather: first programme launched