Solutions: climate and natural disaster risk
Losses from climate and natural disaster risks are key driver of the re/insurance business. Our solutions help strengthen resilience against such risks.
Managing climate and natural disaster risk is at the core of what we do. Losses from floods, storms, earthquakes and other natural catastrophes impact the economies of entire countries and are therefore a key driver of the re/insurance business.
Such losses are becoming more frequent and severe due to higher insurance penetration and the concentration of assets in exposed areas as well as climate change. By financing disaster risk mitigation and climate adaptation, we can strengthen the resilience of citizens, businesses, local and national economies and societies
Natural catastrophes and climate change
In our Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) we report in detail about how climate change affects our core business (both re/insurance and asset management) and how we account for the associated risks and opportunities.
You can read our Climate-related Financial Disclosures in the 2018 Financial Report.
Recently completed transactions
In recent years, we have helped develop numerous solutions that offer our clients protection against various natural catastrophe risks. Click on the links below to find out more:
- Designing a new type of insurance to protect the coral reefs, economies and the planet
- Provincial governments in the Philippines seal deal to strengthen country's disaster resilience, with Swiss Re's support
- Insurance payout helps herders save drought-stricken livestock in Kenya
- Successful Kenya Livestock Insurance Program scheme scales up
- Swiss Re introduces first parametric aquaculture insurance solution in Taiwan to protect 120,000 hectares of grouper fish ponds from extreme rainfall in Ping Tung
- Swiss Re signs MoU with City of Dalian during WEF China to strengthen disaster resilience
- First MiCRO natcat business interruption cover launched in Guatemala
- New Orleans celebrates one year of resilience building: Swiss Re and Veolia report progress on resilience and recovery solution
- Swiss Re reinsures biggest natural disaster insurance programmes in China
- Thai Rice Insurance Scheme scales up to cover 2 million rice farmers
- Swiss Re helps Florida prepare for the next big hurricane
- Swiss Re China protects cotton farmers' yields in cold weather: first programme launched